First of all there are many homes out their that could sell but do not. They have equity, they are not upside down in a short sale position, and the reason why it isn't selling to another real estate agent is obvious. The onely one that does not seem to get it is home seller. Many home owners scratch their head, and bad mouth their real estate agent if they have one, and blame their agent for their misfortunes! Wrong! The sad fact is that much of the fault of a home not selling is the sellers problem. Under the law, real estate agents are basically only allowed to work on behalf of the seller and follow the directions that they are given. A listing agent can make suggestions of pricing, staging, and how to improve the chances of selling, but it up to the home seller to put the advice into action. So based upon my years of experience in real estate.
Here are the main top ten reasons a home does not sell.
- It's overpriced - It's out of line with recent sales prices for comparable homes.
- Your terms are inflexible - "Price is Firm!"
- You have restricted showings to "Appointment only!"
- Your showing instructions are convoluted and frustrating - alarms, showing times, call first....
- You have a Rotweiller or other "Beware of pet" notice.
- Your home is way too personalized.
- Your home is unkempt - dirty, smelly, and the curb appeal confirms it.
- All showings are inconvenient - you constantly ask agents to come at another time.
- You're smoking about 3 packs of cigarettes a day in the home and the home smells like a toilet.
- Your home is under marketed.*
*Under-marketing is when an agent is too lazy to promote your home sale. They are dreaming about a commission as they work their real day job, but have neglected to enter your home into the MLS correctly. You have no virtual tour, you have no flyers, no flyer box, no marketing plan, no photos, the directions to your home are wrong, the home or property is listed in the wrong city, your fields for schools are blank and your agent does not return calls because they really want to double dip the sale by getting both sides of the commission for themselves.
James Crawford ABR, Broker Associate
Atlanta Real Estate Agents, Alpharetta GA Homes for Sale, Atlanta Luxury Homes, Dunwoody GA Homes for Sale, Atlanta Real Estate & Atlanta Homes for Sale, Gwinnett Homes for Sale, Atlanta Real Estate Blog, Cumming GA Homes, Decatur GA Homes for Sale.